Saturday, February 9, 2019



July 14, 2002
Some Things to Think About

A Dream . . .

In my dream I was in the dark on a trip to some remote place with a group of travelers: cold, rough log road, raining, rude, crude, muddy.  We arrive thinking it is going to have a great outcome (gold, diamonds, whatever), but things just get worse, and the sun never shines. Finally, we decide to throw in the towel and get out.
Then real trouble starts.  The trip back is one rip-off after the next: no food, nothing left.  Can’t go forward. Can’t go back. Should never have come.  Should never have left.

Sometimes we don’t know when we are already ahead.


Supposing . . .

“Suppose for a moment that God began taking from us the many things for which we have failed to give thanks.  Which of our limbs and faculties would be left?  Would we still have our hands and our minds?  If God were to take from us all those persons and loved ones for which we have not given thanks, who or what would be left of us?” [Ref: Jan Karon, Out to Canaan, p. 124].


“Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
‘tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.”

[Ref: Rev. John Newton, “Amazing Grace”]


2 comments:

  1. So glad to see your reference to Amazing Grace, my favorite hymn! (I was just listening to the Aretha Franklin recording last night!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude often comes from a deep understanding of grace. Today's American culture (if not worldwide culture) is so self-centered that one often hears, "I only want what I deserve".

    Mercy not merit for me, please!

    Lorna Geist

    ReplyDelete