Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Journal entry for February 25, 2004

Letter by Eleanor Roosevelt
Re: Marion Anderson concert Request


February 26, 1939

My dear Mrs. Robert:

I am afraid that I have never been a very
useful member of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, so I know it will
make very little difference to you whether
I resign or whether I continue to be a
member of your organization.

However, I am in complete disagreement
with the attitude taken in refusing
Constitution Hall to a great artist.  You
have set an example which seems to me,
unfortunate, and I feel obliged to send in
to you my resignation.  You had an
opportunity to lead in an enlightened way
and it seems to me that your organization
has failed.

I realize that many people will not agree
with me, but feeling as I do this seems to
me the only proper procedure to follow.

Very sincerely yours,
Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment: