Monday, February 4, 2019

Getting Back to Basics



To begin at the beginning . . .

It’s been quite a while since my last Journaling post.  Recently I had to upgrade my office, which meant I had to move everything out in order to refinish the floor, including the Journaling book shelves which contain about 45 volumes.  The office is now functional.  

In re-shelving the journals, I could not resist reading-my-way through them.  I found memories, recipes, clippings, quotations, in short, the repository of my brain, and some glints of gold along the way.  And then the birth of the impulse to share these by posting some of the newly-remembered material.  

The only sense of order will be chronological order, starting in 2002, the year I committed to serious journaling, but not every day.  (Not every day hath pearls, to coin a phrase.) but they will be posted in whatever order they are found just as I originally wrote, along with sources if I was diligent enough to reference them.

Let’s start with Quotations:  I often encounter nice bits of wisdom.  I write them down because they are “useful” to daily life.  If I don’t capture them by writing them down, I know I will lose them in the pit of oblivion where all lost things fade away.

Quotations: 7/6/2002
>  “Forget your mistakes, but remember what they taught you.”
>  “The sure sign of the little man is the big head.”
>  “The school of experience has no vacation.”
>  “All things are difficult before they are easy.”
>  “If it is dark enough you can see the stars.”
>  “Character casts a shadow called reputation.”
>  “A person wrapped up in himself makes a small package.”
>  “A human is an arboreal animal which makes itself at home in genealogical trees.” 
     [Ref: Ambrose Bierce]
>  “I’ve found the link between apes and civilized man - it is us.” [Ref: Konrad Lorentz]
>  “It may be that those who do most, dream most.” [Ref: Stephen Leacock]
>  “Life is lived forwards, but only understood backwards.”

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see your blog is back! I look forward to whatever tidbits you may publish here!

    ReplyDelete