Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Creative Journaling (1) The Creative Process



(Note to my readers:  I want to apologize for not being able to get to these postings up in a more timely fashion, but I hope that you will find the wait to be worth it.)

To begin at the beginning, I’ve been a teacher for many, many years, and there has been a constant little niggling problem in the back of my mind.  That is, how to stimulate the creative powers in an individual, in students, and myself included?  And supposing that if I could do that, how can I find a way to teach it to others?  Clearly, it has something to do with our brains.  Are some just more insightful, more talented than others?  I don’t think so.  I think that everyone has potential, has undeveloped awareness of talents and abilities.  So how can these creative resources be tapped and released?

Recently I ran into a book, printed in 1987, which starts out by raising these same questions.  How could I have missed it so long?  I must have been blind, or it just wasn’t the moment of readiness.  But now I want to share the reference for this treasure which I’ve been using in my classes.  I will be referring to it from time to time in the up-coming creative journaling series of posts: “Drawing on the Artist Within,” by Betty Edwards, (ISBN 0-671-63514-X pbk).  If at all possible, please try to locate a copy. I’ll be citing from it from time to time.

I readily admit that my background is in the arts and literature.  I am not a scientist, and as such I know that it is a gross over-simplification just to blithely assume that the brain has two parts, left and right, and that each side is in charge of different human thinking processes.  In fact, we are woefully ignorant about the brain and how it works, and brain research is in its infancy.  But we have to start this dialogue somewhere, in order to think about it at all, so here goes. 

A diagram summarizes some of the Right and Left Brain modes (p. 12).
Left –Mode                  Right-Mode
Verbal                          Nonverbal
Syntactical                    Perceptual
Linear                           Global
Sequential                     Simultaneous
Analytic                        Synthetic
Logical                         Intuitive
Symbolic                      Concrete
Temporal                      Non-temporal
Digital                           Spatial

In Chapter 1 (pp. 2-9) of the text, there is an excellent summary of the historical context concerning research into the creative process, divided into five stages, as follows:
R    First Insight:      A sudden awareness (What? What if?)
L    Saturation:        Obtaining information (Need data…)
R    Incubation:        Thinking about it (How could it be?)
R    “Aha!”:             Sudden insight  (Eureka! That’s it!)
L    Verification:      Checking  (Does it really work?)

So if there are two sides to the brain, which side is doing the heavy lifting?  And the answer is (taa-daa) both are, but in different stages of the process (above, R= Right Brain Mode, L= Left Brain Mode). 

So now we have a problem.  Much of our educational system is geared toward training the left brain: language, reading, counting, formulas, data, facts, dates, etc.  However the right brain likes music, colors, dancing, drawing, art, patterns, etc.  And though I hate to admit it, if we spend all our time just writing in our journals, the result is that they are going to become products of the left brain.  That, unhappily, leaves out a great deal of creative input. So how do we begin to have more creative input into our simple habit of journaling? 

Well, it turns out that one good way is to wake up and stimulate the right brain for more of its input, and drawing is one way to do that.  It doesn’t matter if you think you can’t draw.  Just try these activities to get started.  Don’t be a critic.  Be brave.  Just jump in and do it.  And don’t throw them out.  Either draw them in your journal, or put them on paper and save them in a folder for later use.

Activities (p. 15):
~   Activity #1:  Draw your hand.
~   Activity #2:  Draw a person (live, magazine, yourself?)
~   Activity #3:  Draw an object

Some Words of Encouragement to Get Started:
v     Remember, this is not art.  It is to stimulate R-mode.
v     It’s good to try something new.
v     It’s common to lose awareness of time passing when working in the R-mode.  Just let it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment